Thursday 28 March 2013

Thrusty Thursday: Guardian Awakening by @MichaelaRhua #BookReview

Hello, everyone. Welcome back to Thrusty Thursday. I’ve been trying to catch up with my To-Be-Read pile and this week I've got another book to recommend.

First of all, I'm lamenting the loss of my Kindle eReader. The screen isn't working anymore and I can't afford to replace it at the moment. And now it seems my Kobo eReader has packed up as well. So I'm stuck with reading eBooks on my phone which isn't the same experience because of the backlight. Oh well, I guess it's better than nothing at all. I don't think I could survive without some kind of eReading device.

What about you? Are you addicted to eBooks? Share.

Now on to my review. Disclaimer: No favours have been exchanged for these reviews. 

Guardian Awakening by Michaela Rhua

Tags: paranormal romance, steamy, demons, fallen angels, novella

When a runaway meets a Guardian out for revenge, two worlds collide. Can love conquer all, or is their relationship doomed before it even started?

Essen is out for revenge, and exotic dancer Romy is his target. After the struggle for control of the Gateway between the human world and the supernatural world brings tragedy, this Guardian Demon will stop at nothing to get what he wants: retribution! From the moment they first meet, sparks fly between them, and they cannot deny the connection they have, even if she seems to be hiding her true identity. But how is this possible when they are from two different worlds? Can their love overcome the tormented history that divides them? When Romy is kidnapped, Essen must face his true feelings before it's too late.

My Review

One of the things I love as a reader who starts reading books from a new author from the very beginning is witnessing the author's writing grow and mature with each book release. In a way, it's like watching a newborn grow and being there in each step of their development.

I had a similar experience reading this book. Having read a previous work of this author, it was with great delight that I read this book. The improvement in the writing style is evident. In fact I found little to fault.

With regards to the characters and story development, can I just say I loved Essen and Romy. Was it because Romy is a strong character who'd carved out a life for herself despite her background? Yes. Was it because Essen is such a tortured hero out on a revenge mission against a perceived enemy—Romy? Absolutely!

It's no secret. I love tortured heroes.  They are unpredictable characters and from a reader perspective as well as the heroine's require a lot of emotional investment before we can all arrive at the happily-ever after. It's that emotional push-pull that keeps us turning the pages.

While the emotional conflict in this story is well established, I would have loved to see more intensity in the interplay—in short, I would've loved more angst and suspense.

All in all, I enjoyed this story. It's fabulous to read a paranormal story with an unusual setting that doesn't involve vampires or werewolves. I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series. I personally know the author is currently working on it.

 
My Verdict

Loved it. I read this in (less than) a day. Perfect for me at the moment with spare time being in short supply.

My Recommendations

 If you love paranormal romance, you should read this.
 
My Rating

 
 
Where I got my copy: Amazon UK

Looking for a more varied recommendation of interracial or multicultural books? Check out the latest edition of my Love and Romance in Color column in the Night Owl Reviews monthly magazine out now. This month I feature African-American historical romance.

So what are you reading at the moment? Share.
I'm currently looking out for good romance novels or novellas with multicultural/interracial themes. Feel free to comment and recommend one.

6 comments:

  1. Oh no Kiru! thankfully you're phone is still there for reading! I love my kindle, but I also really enjoy reading on the kindle app on my phone :)

    I still have Guardian awakening to read, so I best get onto it soon!

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a nightmare not having an eReader. I just pray nothing happens to my phone. :)

      Delete
  2. I am addicted to e-books. It's the only way I get to buy the most current books and read them comfortably. Reading books on my pc is not the same. Sorry for you loss Kiru.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nana. I, too, love the ease of buying ebooks. Hence my addiction. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Kiru.
    Thank you for reviewing Guardian Awakening. Good job you didn't tell me you were reading it, otherwise I would have sweated! So glad you liked it. Thank you for your encouraging comments!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please share your thoughts.
If you're having problems using blogger to comment, please use the Facebook comment box at the bottom. Thank you.

The Romance Reviews