Thursday 25 August 2011

Sneak preview of WIP

Welcome back to ThrustyTM Thursday.

Gosh! Thursday comes around pretty quickly these days. I feel as if I only did a post a few hours ago. It’s been one thing or the other this week. And I’ve been shoulders deep in editing, not just one but two books.

As some of you know already, I’m currently working on a historical romance series set in pre-colonial West Africa (the region now known as south-east Nigeria). The stories deal lightly with cultural issues at play in those days – including arranged marriages, polygamy, the importance of lineage, etc. These issues make for interesting conflicts with heroes and heroines that don’t always play by the rules. But we like rule-breakers in fiction, don’t we?


The first set of edits was for His Treasure, my historical romance book out in December. It’s completed and back with my editor. Hopefully there shouldn’t be much more editing to do on it before publication.

The second set of edits is for His Strength, the second book in the series, which I’m trying to polish off before sending to my editor. She likes the blurb and wants to see the rest. So here’s hoping she loves the full manuscript.

In the meantime, I’ll give you a sneak preview of my work-in-progress.


The blurb for His Strength
As a young widow, Nneka yearns to be released from the obligations to her late husband’s family and live as an independent woman. With a past coloured by a brutal father, she will never yield to another man willingly and will do just about anything to attain that freedom.

Ikem sees in Nneka everything he wants in a life mate. He was unable to claim her once because his heritage meant he wasn’t good enough. Now fate has given him another chance. He won’t give her up again. When they begin a torrid affair, will he be able to convince her that succumbing to their passion is the key to her freedom?

Here’s a snippet from His Strength

“Nneka,” he called out, taking a step forward so she could see him better behind the tall green grasses now covered in a layer of brown dust.

With measured ease she turned round, looked left and right along the empty footpath before staring straight at him.

“Ikem, what are you doing here?”

The softness of her voice travelled through him, igniting his already sparking desire. His heart increased its pounding. The blood in his veins rushed downward leaving him feeling lightheaded. Such was her effect on him. Yet he schooled his expression as he watched her.

Her hair was a mass of short tight curls. As tradition dictated, her head had been shaved clean at the death of her husband. It drew his attention to her unadorned face, wide eyes, pert nose and full lips. Her body didn’t have any of the decorative uli marking other women wore; neither did she wear any beads or ornaments. Her appearance was designed to deter notice.

Except, he noticed her. All of her.

He had expected her to look puzzled maybe even frightened at seeing him standing there. She didn’t. Instead she stared at him with boldness unbecoming of a woman in a state of mourning. Her dark brown eyes held a brief twinkle of amusement. When he raised his brow in a silent query, she lowered her gaze to the ground.

“I want to talk to you. Come here.” Though he spoke quietly, there was no mistaking the demand in his voice.

With haste, her gaze flicked back up to meet his. Her eyes had lost some of the sparkling amusement. Instead they held his with fiery defiance, her chin raised a notch.

“I cannot be seen talking to you, Ikem. You know that.” Her tone was self-assured as if she didn’t care if she was found talking to him. A woman in her position, knowing the consequences of being seen with him in public should have cowered and appeared appalled at his forwardness. Her confidence affected him at a most basic level. It challenged him and served to spur him on.

He wanted this woman regardless of the outcome.

***
Your comments are welcome, as usual. Who's interested in reading more? Have a thrusty Thursday, y'all.

16 comments:

  1. Hey Kiru. This new story sounds great. Passionate yet strong culturally - just what I expect from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the recent developments in the African corner of the romance genre, I may well be converted back to loving the romance genre again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sukhi, thank you. I'm hoping the 'passionate yet strong culturally' becomes my unique selling point.

    Hi Adura, That would be so great. I'm hoping to get a lot of old and new converts - people who used to read romance as young adults and have stopped because it didn't reflect their lives and those who are new to it and different stories and characters they can identify with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sure reflects my life, my Mum is a widow and she has an Ikem although he's married. A part of me wants them to go for it but his married status prevents me from encouraging her.and yes I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elishama, It's tricky isn't it. As much as you want your mum to be happy, she shouldnt cause heartache for someone else.

    The good thing about fiction, at least in this case, the conflict for H/H is more internal and less external. They have to overcome their own internal 'barriers' before they can truly love each other. I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like lots, this has the Kiru stamp all over it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Doris. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another heart tugging one, I like your description of the heroine, and the blurb is great too. Definitely want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks interesting. I love the sensuality of it, the atmosphere is wonderful. I love character driven, internal conflict centered Historical Romance. I love seeing different settings and eras too.

    I definately want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Myne. It's one of those stories indeed. Thank you. More soon.

    Hi Natasha, thanks for stopping by. I'm really glad you liked the snippet too. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Intriguing excerpt. You've created two more intriguing characters I want to read more about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. J.L. thank you so much. I hope the rest of the story is as intriguing for you. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by, nigerian eye. I'm glad you're feeling it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please share your thoughts.
If you're having problems using blogger to comment, please use the Facebook comment box at the bottom. Thank you.

The Romance Reviews