Friday 9 September 2011

Romantic Friday Writers - Lunch Date


Welcome back to Romantic Friday Writers. This week the challenge is to write flash fiction/poem/excerpt for the theme of Lunch Date. I'm sharing a snippet from a story I started writing on Wednesday. It is a contemporary romance set in Lagos, Nigeria titled Just My Luck.

A brief summary of the story so far: Trina has a flat tyre. Wale, a stranger who happens to look like her favourite actor, stops and helps her out. He invites her out to lunch. It’s the next day and she’s currently waiting for him in the restaurant after taking a phone call from her ex who she’s now termed ‘stalker’ Steve. This bit is the first time she sees Wale after last night. I hope you enjoy it.

Word Count: 400 (MPA)


Giving herself one last look in the mirror, Trina headed back out into the restaurant. Her steps faltered when she saw Wale sitting at the table waiting for her. His back was turned towards her. Strangely she recognised his broad shoulders and muscular back from last night. Today they were encased in a white T-shirt that showed off his killer biceps brilliantly. She saw good-looking muscular men at the gym everyday but this one was just... She lacked the words to describe him appropriately. She was practically salivating.

Let me at him.

 As if sensing her, he turned around. When their eyes connected, the corners of his lips lifted in a smile, his midnight eyes twinkling like stars. Her already racing heart tripped over itself. He was even more breathtaking in broad daylight.

Goodbye Steve...Hello Wale.

Sashaying over to the table, she tried to regain some of her earlier annoyance. But it was gone. When he smiled at her like that, how could she stay mad at him for being late for their lunch date? Still, she couldn’t let him off just yet.

When she stopped by her chair, he stood up. Wow, a real gentleman. She didn’t know there were still any of those left, in this era of emasculated men? Steve never stood or opened doors for her. Not that she’d minded. She was an independent woman, after all.

“You look beautiful,” Wale said, kissing her cheek. She caught that spicy scent of his and heat twirled in her belly.

“Flattery won’t get you anywhere. You’re late.” She tried to feign annoyance but couldn’t help the smile tugging her lips. He really was the epitome of irresistible. He waited for her to sit down before he did.

“I’m sorry for keeping you waiting. Something came up I couldn’t avoid. Forgive me?” He quirked his eyebrows in suppressed amusement, his hands folded in supplication.

“Okay, I will this time.” She smiled fully now. “Don’t do it again.”

“I won’t. I wanted to call you but realised I didn’t have your number.” He waved the waiter over. “Why didn’t you call me?”

“Well, I couldn’t.” She shrugged dismissively, averting her eyes.

“Why? Is there something wrong with your phone?” He eyed the phone on the table.

“No. It’s not that.”

The waiter turned up and they ordered their meal and drinks. When he walked off, Wale probed her, “What then?”

***
I hope you enjoyed it. Your thoughts and comments are welcome as usual. Remember to visit the other entries for this week's challenge via the link. Have a fabulous weekend.

18 comments:

  1. Just *how* late? Being pretty is not an excuse for being disrespectful, although... it's one I've accepted, too many damn times.

    I smell trouble, as well as spicy cologne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    That damn Stalker Steve, he's giving her phone phobia! Throw the damn thing away: a new number a new life! ;)

    Nice lunch date, though late he's got to pay, big time... :o

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  3. No excuse for lateness. He'd better make up for it big time. Kiru, your story inspired my verse tonight. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks can get you far indeed, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like lateness either but I'm sure Wale had a very good reason for being late.

    Anyway I enjoyed this snippet and look forward to reading the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanna know 'what then? too. Other than being late, Wale seems quite the gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes the 'what then' is intriguing. This is going to be one great story Kiru. It sizzled from start to finish.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kiru,
    Intriguing story. Why was Wale late? And how late, five minutes, fifteen? I am inclined to agree with those who feel that there is something wrong here, even if he seems to be a gentleman.
    I'm curious. I want to know what happens next.

    Best wishes,
    Anna
    Anna's RFW No. 18 'Lunch Date'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Beverly, I totally agree and so does Trina. She doesn't like tardy dates. You're not far off about smelling trouble. ;)

    Hi Francine, you can say that again. Pestering exes can certainly put a girl off her stride.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adura, Wale certainly have plans. Not sure Trina would like them though. lol

    Myne, the eye loves to be pleased, doesn't it.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thewordsmythe, we'll be finding out his reasons soon enough.

    J.L., he sure seems to be a gentleman. Let's hope he keeps it up.

    More soon. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. L'aussie, I'm glad you liked it. There are certainly things to be revealed with this story.

    Anna, you got that right. There is something wrong.

    More soon hopefully. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm sounds like she's in for trouble with that one unless he answers those burning questions satisfactorily. While I always hold doors open for men I expect them to be courteous, gentlemanly and romantic on a date, (I had one who told me he was 'going for a piss', I didn't have another date with him LOL!) so I wish your heroine well with this one.

    I was interested in your choices of words such as 'encased' and 'salivated'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Madeleine, there's certainly some trouble brewing here. With regards to the words, I'm always looking for new visual words to describe the scenes. Those two came to mind as I wrote it.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Curiouser and curiouser! Hurry up with the rest of the story Kiru!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Seyi, I'm trying. Honestly. There are so many other distractions. LOL
    More coming soon. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooo, what then? Don't leave me hanging! If she's drooling over him, why wouldn't she call him, lol?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ms Queenly, that's part of the mystery I hope to unravel. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Please share your thoughts.
If you're having problems using blogger to comment, please use the Facebook comment box at the bottom. Thank you.

The Romance Reviews