Friday, 23 March 2012

RFW - She Wears My Ring

Source
Hello readers. Welcome back to Romantic Friday Writers. It's a writing challenge to write 400 word to a prompt. It could be flash fiction, an excerpt, or a poem.This week the prompt is She Wears My Ring.
Do you want to push your boundaries as a writer? Do you enjoy writing challenges? Click the link above to join the RFW group.

I've chosen an excerpt from a story I started writing in December 2011 titled The Gift of Christmas. It is still a work-in-progress, so feel free to comment or critique if you wish. I'd love to know what you think. Enjoy. :)


Word Count: 400 (Full Critique Acceptable)

***

By dinner time, Chiso had settled into her role. The inquisition she’d been expecting didn’t come. Kingsley fielded most of the answers. He played his role as protective fiancé very well. A warm sensation spread through her body, her heart softening even further for him. After dinner his mother retired early taking Megan to bed. Grace stayed up, chatting with Kingsley and Chiso for a while in the living room. When her phone buzzed, she too disappeared.

“Thank you,” Chiso said in a low voice, turning to face Kingsley who sat barely inches from her on the sofa. She could feel his body heat touching her skin like a gentle caress, his masculine spice settling in her lungs.

“What for?” he moved to face her, his dark eyebrow raised curiously.

“For fighting my corner.”

“You wear my ring. You’re my fiancée.” He winked at her, his cheeks dimpling as his smile widened.

“Yes, but we know I’m not really. I’m even more surprised that they all seemed to buy it so easily since I’m not even the kind of woman someone like you could be engaged to. So thanks anyway,” she said, her voice choked with emotion. She knew the kind of woman suitable for him was polished, elegant, and from a rich family like his late wife. She shouldn’t let herself be swept away by his act. It was just pretend.

Kingsley pulled her closer, his callused hand grazing her cheek. Tingles skittered over her skin. “Chiso, for the next week, you’re my fiancée and nothing less. You’re beautiful and intelligent. Don’t ever think differently.”

“Don’t patronise me,” she said, leaning away from his touch and missing it instantly. “You and I know that you would’ve never looked at me if you didn’t need me to act as your fiancé. So please cut the crap.” Angry with herself for getting sucked into his kind words and presence, she pushed off the sofa and turned her back to him. She disliked that she couldn’t seem to control her feelings where Kingsley was concerned.

She heard the sofa creak behind her. Then, cool hands clasped her shoulders and gently nudged her until she faced Kingsley again. When she looked up at his dark eyes, their fiery intensity made her catch her breath.

“Granted, we’re here now because I need your help. But I wouldn’t swap you for anyone else. Trust me.”

***

So what do you think? Does it work with the theme? Do you want to read more? Share your thoughts. Thank you. Remember to check out the other entries for this week's RFW challenge over here.

Have a fantastic weekend.


Can a quiet man tame his rebellious wife with persevering love?

Is the hunter about to be hunted?